Tuesday, June 29, 2010

End of my month

Tomorrow marks the end of my 1 month vegan trail period. I have made the decision to continue on with it though..I love how I feel to much to give this up. I recently read a interesting quote regarding be amazing benefits of being vegan on Steve Pavina's blog: "People who eat animals often regard my diet as being (outside looking in), while ironically I regard their lifestyle as being far more deprived (inside looking out). I love it.

This past weekend, my last free weekend before work, I went to Chicago with my dad. I have never really been there to tour the city except for the Workout in the Park last year. We just went for the hell of it and ended up going to to some sweet festivals. We first went to the Taste of Chicago, which is known for hundreds of local restaurants providing samples of their specialties. Then later we went to a green fest which advertised having all vegetarian/vegan food...buut false advertisements lured me in..and there was no rabbit food to be eaten =[ There was sweet music and lovely people watching though!

kids break dancing in the street

Besides the major let down at the green fest, Dad and I were able to find a great place for lunch the following day. Flat Top Grill is a create your own stir fry restaurant in downtown Chicago. You start by choosing rice (white/brown) or noodles. Then you select any and all the veggies you would like to fit into your bowl. Next, your server helps to create the perfect sauce. I chose a black bean and garlic, soy sauce, and peanut sauce mix. Then you can choose all the meat you want in a different bowl-- for vegetarians/vegans, they offer tofu, seitan, quorn (mushroom meat), bbq vegetable tempeh, and curry pakora (soy protein). Finally, you have the option to make your bowl a soup or lettuce wraps. Mine was very green:


Overall, I realized traveling + vegan = stress..so I plan on staying close for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment