Friday, July 30, 2010

Amazing Whole Wheat Bread

Slacking..still..I suck at blogging. Well..month 2 of vegan is officially over and I am still going strong! I love experimenting with new food items and combination of ingredients.

I have recently been on a kick of making my own bread with our bread maker. My dad uses it all the time to make a cinnamon raisin bread and it smells amazing. So, after buying expensive "sprouted" bread a few times, I thought I would save some money and try to make my own. I looked online for a whole wheat bread machine recipe and this is what I found:

Whole Wheat Bread Maker Recipe:

ingredients:
1 1/8 cup water at room temperature
3 cups of whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of gluten (optional--> I don't add this)
2 teaspoon of dry yeast.

Directions:
1. add the water first then add the dry ingredients.
2. add the yeast last and make sure it does not touch the water.

This yielded a hearty, nutty loaf which was gone in 4 days...but I decided with the help of a bread maker, it is so easy and fast to alter recipes and try them out. The last cycle I ran I substituted 1 1/2 cup buckwheat flour for half of the whole wheat flour and the loaf ended up too dry and crumbly. So this time I decided to try to make it more moist. To the recipe above, I added 2 tablespoons of organic apple sauce and 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds.

I can not believe how amazing this loaf turned out. I think I found a keeper with this recipe! It is so moist and dense--the perfect accompaniment to natural peanut butter to make melty pb toast!!

Let me know if any of you have any other recommendations to alter my bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment